Raw broccoli, processed into a rice-like texture, is what makes this sushi “almighty”. Raw broccoli gives you more nutritional bang for your buck, as it retains all of its water-soluble vitamins and other nutrients that may otherwise be diminished during cooking.Print
Almighty Sushi Rolls with Mango-Ginger Dipping Sauce
- Yield: 2 Rolls 1x
- For the Mango-Ginger Dipping Sauce:
- 1 ripened mango (any type)
- ½ inch piece organic ginger, peeled
- ½ cup filtered water
- For the Rolls:
- 1 cup chopped broccoli (or ½ cup zucchini + ½ cup broccoli*)
- 2 whole organic carrots, shredded
- 1 whole avocado, sliced, divided
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 Tbsp. tamari
- ½ whole organic pepper, julienned
- 1 stalk organic celery, julienned
- 2 nori sheets
- For the dipping sauce:
- Blend all ingredients together and set aside.
- For the Rolls:
- In a food processor, add the chopped broccoli or broccoli/zucchini and pulse until minced and a rice-like texture is obtained.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mash ½ of the avocado with a fork and sprinkle with the juice of half a lemon. Add the tamari and mix well. Gradually add the broccoli, combine with the mashed avocado, and set aside.
- Slice the remaining avocado half and sprinkle with the remaining lemon juice. Set aside.
- To make the sushi, place a nori sheet on a sushi mat or board. Starting from the bottom of the nori sheet, add the broccoli rice and gently flatten down on the sheet. Make sure 3/4 of the sheet is covered.
- Fill the bottom of the spread with a long strip of veggies and avocado. Roll upward from the bottom of the sheet (the edge that has filling on it) tightly, and seal the end with a bit of water if necessary. Repeat the process for the remaining sheet. Cut rolls into even bite-sized pieces and enjoy with some tamari in the side and the mango-ginger dipping sauce.
*Chef’s Note: If you are not a big fan of broccoli, you can use a mixture of broccoli and zucchini, as well as some extra avocado to compensate for the broccoli flavor.