Seasoned Antioxidant Tofu Steaks
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Holiday, Valentines
- Cuisine: Whole Food, Plant-based
- Diet: Vegan
14 ounces extra-firm organic tofu
For the seasoning
- 1 organic beefsteak tomato or 2 Roma tomatoes, divided
- 1 Tbsp. organic tomato paste or oil-free tomato sauce
- ¼ cup any non-dairy milk or veggie broth
- 2 Tbsp. low-sodium organic, non-GMO tamari
- 1 tsp. organic, non-GMO miso paste (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. date paste or pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder or root (minced)
- 1–2 green onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp red onion, chopped
- ¼ organic bell pepper, minced
- 4–6 cloves organic garlic, minced
- Ground pepper to taste
Prepare the tofu:
Cut the tofu into 4 cubes or into rectangular strips to build a tower as shown in the image. Place them flat and evenly on a small baking dish or container.
Prepare the seasoning:
Slice the tomatoes in half and squeeze the juice and some of the pulp into a mixing bowl. Chop the remaining skins and pulp into small pieces. Set aside.
Whisk the rest of the seasoning ingredients together or blend in a food processor or blender. Add remaining tomato skins and pieces. Pour the seasoning over the tofu. Let it marinate for at least 1 hour, covered, in the refrigerator. If you can leave it overnight, it will be even more flavorful.
Putting it together:
Baking is optional. If you desire a warm dish, transfer the tofu pieces to a silicone, stainless steel or glass dish and pour some of the mixed seasoning over each piece. Bake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes. Add the topping ingredients before serving.