Minestrone is an Italian word that literally translates to simply, “soup”. And how appropriate, since this vegetable soup is the embodiment of what all soups should be: hearty, flavorful, colorful, and comforting.Print
Naked Minestrone Soup
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 4 ½ cups organic low-sodium vegetable stock or filtered water
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 leek
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 can of cannellini or kidney beans
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 fresh or dry bay leaf
- 2 cups organic fresh plum tomatoes
- 1 handful of seasonal leafy greens such as kale, chard, or spinach
- 3 ½ oz. whole wheat pasta
- Peel and finely chop the garlic. Trim and roughly chop the carrots and celery and add to a large pot with the organic vegetable stock or water.
- Cut the ends off the leek, quarter it lengthways, and wash it under running water to remove soil from between the layers. Cut the leek into ¼ inch slices. Add to the pot.
- Scrub and dice the potatoes and add to the pot. Add the beans, oregano, bay leaf, and plum tomatoes. Stir well, breaking up the tomatoes with the back of a spoon.
- Cover with a lid and bring everything slowly to a boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through. To check when a potato is cooked, pierce a chunk of potato with a sharp knife – if it pierces easily, it’s done.
- Roughly chop the greens, then add to the pot.
- Using a rolling pin, crush the pasta into pieces while it’s still in the packet or wrap in a clean tea towel. Add pasta to the pan, and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. This translates as ‘to the tooth’ and means that it should be soft enough to eat, but still have a bit of a bite and firmness to it. Try some just before the time is up to make sure you cook it perfectly.
- Add a splash more stock or water if needed.
- Season to taste with pink sea salt and black pepper, then serve.
Naked! Low fat, Whole Food, Plant-based, Vegan, Organic, Sustainable.
Diabetes, Cancer, Heart Disease, High Cholesterol, Weigh Loss, Athletics, Optimum Health.
Animals, Eggs, Dairy & Lactose, Sugar, Salt, Oil, Peanuts, Gluten, Wheat, GMOs, Alcohol, Chemicals, Colorants Additives.
This recipe holds the Naked Food Seal of Approval, as it has been prepared with all organic, non-gmo, gluten-free, and plant-based ingredients. The Naked Food Seal of Approval stands for 100% Real Food.