This gorgeous stuffed squash is filled with protein-packed quinoa to make it extra hearty and satisfying. It is a great recipe for any day, but especially festive during the holidays.Print
Holiday Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Yield: Serves 2 1x
- 1 medium acorn squash
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 organic yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms of your choice, chopped
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 tsp. tamari, divided
- ½ turmeric powder
- A sprinkle of cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pine nuts, pumpkin, or sunflower seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Carefully slice the acorn squash in half length-wise, and scoop out the seeds.
- With a sharp knife, pierce the squash pulp in several places. Brush 1 tsp. of tamari in each half, and sprinkle pepper, nutritional yeast, and oregano over the open halves. Place on a baking sheet cut sides up and bake for 45 minutes.
- Cook the quinoa following the package instructions.
- Add the onions, garlic, mushrooms, and chickpeas to a pan with the vegetable broth and tamari, turmeric, and cayenne (optional). Cook until the onions are translucent and all ingredients are slightly browned.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the onion mixture and mix thoroughly. Remove from heat and put into a large bowl. Add the parsley and nuts and stir well.
- After 45 minutes of baking, remove the squash from the oven and stuff with the quinoa mix. Cook for another 15 minutes with stuffing inside or until the squash is very soft when pierced with a fork, and a little golden brown around the edges. Top with extra walnuts and parsley.
Chef’s Note: Use a larger acorn squash for a larger number of servings.
Naked! Low fat, Whole Food, Plant-based, Vegan, Organic, Sustainable.
Diabetes, Cancer, Heart Disease, High Cholesterol, Weigh Loss, Athletics, Optimum Health.
Animals, Eggs, Dairy & Lactose, Sugar, Salt, Oil, Peanuts, Gluten, Wheat, GMOs, Alcohol, Chemicals, Colorants Additives.
This recipe holds the Naked Food Seal of Approval, as it has been prepared with all organic, non-gmo, gluten-free, and plant-based ingredients. The Naked Food Seal of Approval stands for 100% Real Food.