This delicious and versatile recipe can be enjoyed as an all-season delicacy when accompanied or garnished with a variety of ingredients.
Watermelon Rind Cobbler
(All organic, non-GMO)
- 3 cups of watermelon rind
- 5 cups filtered water
- 5 Tbsp. date paste or chopped dates, pitted
- 5 cloves (optional)
- 1–2 cinnamon sticks + ½ tsp. Ceylon cinnamon powder
- 1 green or red apple, chopped or julienne
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Berries, banana, fresh watermelon, or fruit of your choice
- Ice cream (optional)
- Edible flowers (optional)
- Remove the green watermelon skin leaving only the white thick rind. Watermelon skins should go into the compost pile. Remove any red pulp and use and eat separately or add chopped as watermelon garnish.
- Cut the watermelon rind into long strips or squares.
- In a saucepan heat 5 cups of filtered water over medium heat, add the watermelon rind, half of the date paste, apple peel, cloves, and cinnamon sticks.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat and allow it to cool.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and cloves, if using.
- Add the cinnamon powder, remaining date paste, lemon juice, and stir.
- Server as desired (see chef’s notes) and add fruit, ice cream, nuts, seeds and edible flowers to accompany the recipe.
- To serve as a cobbler, add your favorite plant-based ice cream and garnish with chopped seeds or nuts.
- It can also be served as a banana split (picture shown) and garnished with blueberries, strawberries, edible flowers, or seeds.
- The raw rind can also be added to smoothies, juices, and salads.
- Serving Size: 4-8 Servings
Keywords: watermelon, cobbler, dessert, plant-based, wfpb, vegan