The croquette (from the French croquer, "to crunch") is popular worldwide, both as a delicacy and as a fast food. Usually coated in breadcrumbs and deep-fried, this Naked interpretation is actually healthful, getting the desired crunch from chopped nuts instead of frying.Print
Rice, Bean, & Pistachio Croquettes
- Yield: Makes 12-16 croquettes. Serves 4. 1x
- 1/3 cup pistachios or Brazil nuts
- 2 tsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ organic onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown rice (long grain or short grain)
- 1 ¼ – 1 ½ cups filtered water (depending on rice used; see below)
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 Tbsp. non-GMO miso paste
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 1 cup cooked beans (red, pinto, kidney, black, or white), rinsed and dried
- 1 tsp. tamari or shoyu
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- In a food processor chop the pistachios or Brazil nuts. Pour into a small container. Add the nutritional yeast, mix, and set aside.
- In the food processor chop the onion and garlic. Transfer to a shallow pot* with the broth. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add the rice, water, cilantro, miso, and turmeric and bring to a boil. (For long-grain brown rice, use 1 ¼ cups water to 1 cup rice. For short-grain brown rice, use 1 ½ cups of water). Cover and reduce to a slow, steady simmer for 30 minutes. Let the cooked rice sit for 10 minutes, covered, to absorb maximum moisture; then remove the lid, and fluff the grains with a fork.
- Pour the rice mixture into a large bowl and add the cooked beans. Add the tamari and pepper and smash all the ingredients into an even mix. Scoop the mixture a tablespoon at a time and form into 1” spheres.
- Pour the pistachio mix over a parchment sheet, tray, or plate and roll each sphere in the nut mixture until it is covered. Serve immediately.
*A wide, shallow pot with a tight-fitting lid ensures evenly cooked grains.
Naked! Low fat, Whole Food, Plant-based, Vegan, Organic, Sustainable.
Diabetes, Cancer, Heart Disease, High Cholesterol, Weigh Loss, Athletics, Optimum Health.
Animals, Eggs, Dairy & Lactose, Sugar, Salt, Oil, Peanuts, Gluten, Wheat, GMOs, Alcohol, Chemicals, Colorants Additives.
This recipe holds the Naked Food Seal of Approval, as it has been prepared with all organic, non-gmo, gluten-free, and plant-based ingredients. The Naked Food Seal of Approval stands for 100% Real Food.
For more delicious naked recipes, visit the Naked Kitchen at Naked Food Magazine. Want to share your naked plant-based recipe? Submit it here.