Naked Recipe: Bulgur + Garbanzo Flair
Recipe developed by the Naked Food Chefs.
In addition to being a high alkalinity seed, quinoa has protein, fiber, and a great variety of nutrients. Yep, it’s actually a seed. High in fiber and protein, and low in fat and calories, bulgur is another food that offers bulk and nutrients to fill you up without adding pounds. Garbanzos are full of protein and support the digestive track. Broccoli helps maintain the nervous system, regulates blood pressure, fights free radicals, and a potent cancer fighter. Do we have to say more?
Makes 4 servings.
- 1 cup bulgur, medium grade
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup garbanzo (chickpeas), soaked overnight
- ¼ cup of organic red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup of broccoli/brocolini stems and florets, chopped
- 6 cilantro stalks
- 6 parsley stalks
- ½ cup of organic kale, finely chopped in blender or food processor
- ½ tsp. organic cumin power
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
1. Rinse garbanzos and bring to a boil in 4 cups of water. Add cilantro, parsley, kale, and cumin.
Cover. Reduce to medium heat and cook for 75 – 90 minutes. Mix in ¼ tsp of pink salt and let stand.
2. Bring 1 cup of bulgur and 2 cups water or vegetable broth to a boil. Cook, covered, until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Makes 2 cups.
3. In a separate saucepan, bring 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes until the quinoa tail is visible, and the water is absorbed. Let sit covered for 5 minutes and fluff with fork. Makes 2 ½ cups.
4. In a separate pan, add chopped onion, garlic, and ½ cup of water, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add broccoli/broccolini and cover. Cook for another 8 minutes. Add pink salt to taste. Mix in bulgur and
quinoa in a bowl and serve.