Labels Matter! We have the right to know
Naked Food Magazine supports the Just Label It Campaign and the right to know what’s in our food.
Studies show that more than 90% of Americans support mandatory labeling of genetically engineered (GE) foods. Yet for twenty years we have been denied that right. While our reasons for wanting to know what’s in our food may vary, what unifies us is the belief that it’s our right. Without labeling of GE foods, we cannot make informed choices about our food. The Just Label It campaign was created to advocate for the labeling of GE foods.
- In 1989, 39 people died and thousands were disabled from a disease called eosonophil myalgia syndrome, which was traced to a genetically engineered supplement commonly found in health food stores.
- In 1996, the government banned dangerously allergenic soybeans that had been gene-spliced with Brazil nut DNA.
- In 2000, the FDA recalled billions of dollars worth of food products containing GMO corn that was linked to severe allergic reactions.
- More than 100 peer-reviewed studies have shown that GMOs damage the vital organs, immune systems and reproductive functions of animals.
- A recent study in Canada found that more than 90 percent of pregnant women had detectible levels of genetically engineered Bt pesticide circulating in their bloodstream, in effect turning their digestive tracts and their fetuses into miniature pesticide factories.
Unlike most other developed countries – such as 15 nations in the European Union, Japan, Australia, Brazil, Russia and even China – the U.S. has no laws requiring labeling of genetically engineered foods. Requiring genetically engineered foods to be labeled empowers consumers to make informed choices about what’s best for us and our families. Please join over a half million Americans and contact the FDA today on this issue: http://justlabelit.org/take-action/
Please share this video with your friends and family on Facebook and Twitter to encourage them to tell the FDA to Just Label It.
September 12, 2012
We have to fight against the companies and people that don’t want us to know. I totally support this….
September 12, 2012
Yes, this is a issue I think of every time I’m at the grocery store. Labels are vital.