Traditional eggplant rollatini are stuffed with two or more cheeses and topped with even more cheese—a fat- and cholesterol-laden nightmare. This Naked version uses a mashed potato mixture instead, with nutritional yeast imparting the desired “cheesy” flavor.Print
Gourmet Eggplant Rollatini
- Yield: 4-6 Servings 1x
- 6 medium size organic potatoes (about 2 lbs.), with skin, washed
- 2 cups filtered water, divided
- 1 Tbsp. organic, non-GMO miso paste
- 1 large organic eggplant
- 1/2 organic onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 handful organic spinach, washed, pat dried, and chopped
- 4 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. tamari, divided
- 3 Tbsp. pomegranate seeds
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Fill a large pot with water halfway full and bring to boil. Add the potatoes and cook for about 35 minutes or until soft. It’s ok if the potatoes break a bit.
- In a food processor or bender, mix one cup of the filtered water with the miso. Set aside.
- Slice the eggplant using a mandolin set on the thinnest setting. Place the slices in a large grilling pan and add one or two tablespoons of the water/miso liquid. Sauté the eggplant slices on both sides adding increments of the water/miso liquid as needed to avoid burning. Set the eggplant slices aside on a flat surface.
- In a food processor chop onion and garlic. Add to a pan and sauté with the remaining cup of filtered water over medium heat until the onions are soft and fragrant. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Transfer the cooked potatoes to the mixing bowl and add the sautéed onion and garlic, rosemary, spinach, yeast, and tamari. Using a fork, potato masher, or your bare hands, break down all the ingredients and mix them all together.
- Place about 3 tablespoons of the potato mixture near the end of an eggplant slice. Roll it up and pat both sides of the roll so that the mixture stays inside. Insert a bamboo stick vertically at the finishing end of the roll to help it stay together. Repeat the process with the rest of the mixture and eggplant slices.
- Sprinkle with some pomegranate seeds and garnish with fresh basil leaves. Enjoy immediately.
February 12, 2019
What is the nutritional breakdown of this recipe? How many carbs? Protein etc?