This appetizer’s smoky, rich flavors are the perfect complement to toast or crackers, or as a dip for chips. Serve at a social event, business meeting, snack for a sporting event, or as the start to an intimate dinner party.Print
Eggplant and Walnut appetizer
This appetizer’s smoky, rich flavors are the perfect complement to toast or crackers, or as a dip for chips. Serve at a social event, business meeting, snack for a sporting event, or as the start to an intimate dinner party.
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Diet: Vegan
INGREDIENTS (ORGANIC, NON-GMO)
- 1 Eggplant with skin
- 4 Tomatoes with skin
- 2 Tbsp. Walnuts chopped, plus a few left whole for garnish
- 3 Garlic cloves with skin
- 2 tsp. Lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Sesame seeds roasted, plus 1 tsp. for garnish
- ¼ cup Chives finely chopped for garnish
- Pepper, a pinch of ground, to taste
- Chili pepper, a pinch of ground, to taste
- ¼ cup Olives of choice, pitted and chopped for garnish
- 1 Tbsp. Basil finely chopped
- In a fry pan, place eggplants, tomatoes, and garlic. Turn burner on medium-high and wait until the peelings blacken. Let cool and remove the peelings. (Add the peelings to your compost.)
- Finely chop the eggplant, tomato, and garlic and place in a medium-size bowl. (Approximately 1 cup eggplant, 1 cup tomato, 1 teaspoon garlic)
- Add lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds, and mix. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- If you do not have nuts, you can substitute this ingredient with waterless Olives or fresh or dried Basil.
- Garnish with your choice of chives, olives, walnuts, and/or toasted sesame seeds. Serve with nachos, tortillas, tacos, corn patties (pictured), cooked potatoes, or toasted whole wheat bread. Let your imagination go wild!