Panna cotta (Italian for “cooked cream”), is traditionally made with heavy cream blended with sugar and thickened with gelatin. This completely plant-based version tastes just as decadent, and makes a delightful holiday dessert.Print
Coconut Panna Cotta With Berries
Recipe developed by the Naked Food Chefs
- Yield: 4 small or 6 medium servings 1x
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 6 (1/4 cup) medjool dates, pitted, divided
- 3/4 tsp. agar agar powder
- 2 Tbsp. coconut flakes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen organic berries of your choice
- 1 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. filtered water
- Combine the coconut milk with 2 of the dates in a food processor and blend until creamy. Transfer to a saucepan and gently heat over medium-low heat.
- Pour a few tablespoons of the warm coconut-date milk into a small container, add the agar agar powder and whisk until the agar is dissolved. Pour back into the saucepan, add the coconut flakes and stir together. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, and boil for about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into 4 or 6 silicone medium-size molds. Let them cool for 30 minutes and then refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- To make the berry sauce, place the berries, vanilla, water, and remaining dates in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the sauce through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds. Spoon the sauce over the panna cotta and serve.