Because they are in season late in the year, Brussels sprouts grace many holiday tables, especially in Great Britain, where they have a ubiquitous presence at Christmas dinners.
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 8 pitted dates
- ½ cup filtered water
- 3 cups fresh Brussels sprouts, sliced in half
- 1 cup fresh organic cranberries
- 1 Tbsp. miso paste
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth or filtered water, divided
- 1 organic red onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. shoyu
- ¼ cup almonds, Brazil nuts, or walnuts or a mix of these
- Ground pepper to taste
- In a food processor, blend dates and water until creamy. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat sauté the Brussels sprouts cut side down, along with the onions, miso, cranberries, and 1/2 cup broth or water for about 10 minutes or until lightly brown. Cover. Stir often and add an extra cup of water as needed to prevent the ingredients from burning. Turn the sprouts over and allow them to caramelize around the edges as well.
- Add the remaining broth or water, shoyu, ground pepper, and date paste. Stir and combine well. Serve and garnish nuts with herbs.
Naked! Low fat, Whole Food, Plant-based, Vegan, Organic, Sustainable.
Diabetes, Cancer, Heart Disease, High Cholesterol, Weigh Loss, Athletics, Optimum Health.
Animals, Eggs, Dairy & Lactose, Sugar, Salt, Oil, Peanuts, Gluten, Wheat, GMOs, Alcohol, Chemicals, Colorants Additives.
This recipe holds the Naked Food Seal of Approval, as it has been prepared with all organic, non-gmo, gluten-free, and plant-based ingredients. The Naked Food Seal of Approval stands for 100% Real Food.