These rice-and-squash Jack-O’-Lanterns are a fun, festive, and tasty addition to any Halloween table!Print
- Yield: 6 Jack-O’-Lanterns 1x
- 1 cup organic brown rice
- 3 cups of filtered water (divided)
- ½ organic delicata or butternut squash (about 2 cups), diced
- ½ tsp. dried or 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sage leaf
- ½ red onion
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp. tamari
- Pinch of ground pepper
- ¼ cup black olives, packed in water, minced into triangle-shaped pieces
- 1 small sprig of fresh celery
- Place the rice and 2 cups of the water in a pan and bring to a boil. Add the thyme and sage, and cook, covered, for 25 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- In a food processor chop the onion and transfer to a large saucepan. Add the squash and the remaining cup of water. Cook over low heat, covered, for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the squash is soft. Add extra water if needed to avoid burning or drying and cook longer if necessary. Mash the squash so there are no large pieces. Add the squash to the cooked rice and stir. Add the cup of non-dairy milk, tamari, and pepper and combine well. Remove from heat and let stand for at least 15 minutes.