Kids of all ages love hot dogs—the epitome of American food. Keep these carrot dogs on hand so your kids can have them whenever they want a quick meal.
- 6 large carrots, peeled and trimmed to fit your hot dog buns
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 hot dog buns, toasted if desired
- Bring a 2-quart pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the car-rots and bring the water back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and let the carrots cook until they are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the carrots and rinse them under cool water to stop the cooking.
- While the carrots are cooking, whisk together the water, tamari, red wine vinegar, garlic, granulated onion, mustard powder, coriander, mace, smoked paprika, and black pepper in a baking dish. Add the carrots to the marinade and toss to coat. Cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and the marinade and cook, turning the carrots occasionally, until most of the marinade has evaporated and the carrots have started to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Serve in a bun with your favorite toppings.