Naked & Festive Apple Cider
- 4 large organic apples
- 1 tsp. whole cloves
- 3 Ceylon cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 organic orange (both juice and peel)
- 4 cups apple cider
- 3/4 cup spiced rum (use more or less, as desired)
- ½ tsp. rum extract
- Cut the apples in half crosswise and scoop most of the pulp, leaving a thick wall. Make sure apple halves stand straight. If not, slice off a little bit of the rounded ends.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon sticks, and star anise to a large saucepan over medium heat. Lightly toast the spices in the pan for 1 minute.
- Add the orange juice and apple cider, and simmer for 10 minutes. Do not boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the spiced rum and the rum extract.
- Ladle the cider into the apple halves and garnish with cinnamon or a strip of orange peel, if desired. To keep warm, the cider can stay on very low heat until serving.