A comforting and warm, as well as simple, yet flavorful recipe that is bound to become a family favorite.
Yield: 4 Servings. Recipe developed by the Naked Food Chefs.
- 2 1/4 cups organic vegetable broth or filtered water (divided)
- 1 1/2 cup organic couscous or 1 cup quinoa (for gluten-free)
- ¼ cup basil, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups diced .5” organic Tofu* cubes (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. shoyu or tamari
- 1/2 cup organic tomatoes, sliced
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives
- 4 organic bell peppers (assorted colors)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, sunflower, or pumpkin seeds
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- A pinch of ground pepper and pink Himalayan salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice the tops off the peppers and remove all the ribs and seeds. Place peppers in a silicone tray or baking dish lined with wax paper. Do not use aluminum paper. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the peppers are lightly browned. Remove peppers from the oven.
2. If using couscous: In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of the vegetable broth or water to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the couscous. Cover the pan and let the couscous cook with the remaining heat until the liquid has been absorbed and the couscous is tender.
If using quinoa: Bring vegetable broth or water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
3. Add in the chopped basil. Stir.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium pan, sauté the chopped garlic in medium heat using 2-3 Tbsp. of vegetable broth or filtered water. Stir in the tofu (make sure that the tofu is nice and dry before you put it in the pan) and add shoyu or tamari. Give the tofu a light sear and saute for about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Transfer the couscous or quinoa to a large bowl. Mix in the tomatoes, tofu, and olives, and stir until all ingredients are combined.
5. Stuff peppers with the couscous or quinoa mixture. Sprinkle pine nuts or seeds over baked peppers. Garnish with basil and a pinch of ground pepper and pink salt.
*Chef’s Note: Soy-based products MUST be certified organic, and non-GMO.
Recipe type: Naked | Plant-based | Vegan | Vegetarian | Organic | Non-GMO | Oil Free
Approved for: Diabetes | Cancer | Heart Disease | High Cholesterol | Weight Loss
Allergens: Corn Free | Dairy & Lactose Free | Peanut Free | Egg Free
This recipe holds the Naked Food Seal of Approval, as it has been prepared with all organic, non-gmo, oil-free, and plant-based ingredients. The Naked Food Seal of Approval stands for 100% Real Food.